Former Waltham High lacrosse coach Steve Duffy was named the new head coach of Major League Lacrosse's Boston Cannons.
Duffy, a graduate of Waltham High and coach there for 18 seasons, will be the fourth head coach in the Cannons 11-year history. He spent the last three seasons as an Cannons assistant coach to Bill Daye, who left after the team won the 2011 MLL championship.
At Waltham, Duffy had his best seasons in 2001 and 2005, when he led his alma mater to the state semifinals and finals. In October, he was inducted into the school's Hall of Fame.
"Anytime you get a coach become a professional, it's a big deal," Waltham athletic director Bill Foley said. "[Lacrosse] was a low profile sport and Steve did a great job bringing it to prominance here in Waltham. He started programs here in our city that grew leaps and bounds. He is the type of coach that can make connections with his players and teach them. He to me is, as I've always called him, the pied piper of lacrosse.''
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.