It all comes down to this!
Masconomet (17-3-3) will face off against Ludlow (16-2-4) for the Division 1 boys soccer title tonight.
The game will be 5 p.m. at Worcester State University.
The Chieftains, under first year coach Dave Mitchell, will have a tough task in trying to take down the defending state champion Lions, who are in pursuit of an amazing seventeenth state title.
Captain and Cape Ann MVP Chad Burke has been an offensive motor for the Chieftains, picking up a goal and an assist in the Div. 1 North final versus Billerica and scoring both of his teamís goal in the EMass final against Greater New Bedford. Defensively, Masco is anchored by Wes Shrewsbury with captains Alex Brown and Charlie Behrens playing key roles across the field. Keeper Derek Grammer has allowed only two goals in the tournament, highlighted by a four-save penalty kick performance versus Acton-Boxboro.
This will be Ludlow's fourth straight trip to the final, having captured titles in 2008 and 2010 most recently. Coach Greg Kolodziey boasts a balanced and experienced lineup. Kyle Tomas, who scored a goal in last yearís final, netted the game-winner in the Lions 1-0 win over Worcester North on Tuesday. Goalie Nick Zucco came up with a big shutout in that game and has allowed only two goals over four tournament games.
Masco last made the final in 2008 as a Division 2 team, losing to Mt. Greylock. Their last state title came back in 1996 under the guide of legendary head coach Lenny Emmons who retired after the 2010 season.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.