When Arlington high school wrestling coach Kevin Cummings began the school’s program in 1996, he had eight wrestlers.
Now, 16 seasons later, Cummings and his team of 30 wrestlers are celebrating the program’s and its coach’s 200th win after host Arlington defeated Melrose, 39-38.
“We started off slow, and then we built it up every year,” said Cummings.
In his first year of coaching, Cummings and his eight wrestlers went 1-2. His captain, and first wrestler, Mike Covel, is now one of his assistant coaches, along with Sam Cafferson. Cummings credited his success to his assistants' help.
“They have been absolutely fabulous. I cannot say enough about how much they have helped this program develop,” said Cummings. Covel and Cafferson have been on the staff for 13 years.
Over that span, the team has not had a losing season. Two years ago, it finished 20-3, the most victories in a season. Last year Arlington was the Dual-County League champion, and Cummings was the Sectional Coach of the Year.
Cummings though, was quick to credit the contributions of others.
“We have had tremendous support from the administration, the parents, and the alumni,” the coach said.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.