Junior John DeNapoli’s pin at 120 pounds, in the final match of the meet, put the Braintree wrestling team in unfamiliar territory as it defeated Weymouth for the first time in program history, 39-38, Wednesday night at Weymouth High School.
“It was pure jubilation and excitement,” said Braintree coach Marty Dundon, now in his fifth season. “This was validation that we’re a pretty good team.”
The Wamps got upset victories from junior Pat Kane at 132 pounds, senior Ali Tubaishat at 145 pounds, and junior Martin Mulkerrin at heavyweight to help them improve to 4-0, the best start in the program’s history.
“We’ve built up this program to 60 kids and for years we’ve been watching Weymouth, one of the best programs in the state, come in and beat us,” said Dundon. “We’ve been trying to build up our program to compete with them and this win proves that all of the kids’ hard work and dedication pays off.”
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.
- Waiting for Twitter...