Dexter football player Abner Logan Jr. has verbally committed to the University of Maryland for the fall of 2012, according to head coach Casey Day.
Logan, a running back and linebacker that stands 6-foot-1 and weighs 212, was one of the state's top uncommitted recruits in the class of 2012, according to Rivals.com. In his final season at Dexter, a Brookline prep school, Logan rushed for more than 1,100 yards and 18 touchdowns in eight games. On the defensive side of the ball, Logan amassed 42 tackles (nine for a loss), 10 sacks, and two interceptions.
Logan had previously narrowed his selection to Maryland, North Carolina State, and Northwestern.
According to Day, "Abner made two trips to Maryland and loved them both.”
"I think it’s going to be a great fit for [Logan]," Day said. "From what we’re hearing, he may have a chance to play [at linebacker] right away."
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.