Everett quarterback Jonathan DiBiaso has been named the Gatorade Massachusetts football player of the year.
The Crimson Tide quarterback, who has an offer to play at Holy Cross next year, has guided Everett to its second straight Super Bowl. He tossed 44 touchdown passes this year, surpassing the state record for touchdown passes in doing so. He threw 43 touchdown passes last season and holds the Massachusetts record with 103. His 44 touchdown passes bests his state record for the regular season.
The award is doled out in collaboration with ESPN High School, which takes into consideration local media input, including the Boston Globe and Boston Herald. DiBiaso was the Division 1 player of the year for the Globe last season. With the award, DiBiaso is a finalist for the national football player of the year award from Gatorade.
Last year's state award winner, Matt Costello, also came from Everett and was a frequent beneficiary of DiBiaso's deft passing.
Billerica's Nick LaSpada, who finished his career for the Indians this season, was the 2009-10 award winner as a sophomore.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.