The St. Johnís Shrewsury football team had one goal as a motivating factor during training camp.
"Our whole motto was 'Get to Gillette,' that was our main goal as a football team, to make that happen," said athletic director Patrick White. "It's a dream come true for our boys, they put in a lot of hard work in the weight room to make that a reality."
Last May, the MIAA Football Committee voted to bump two EMass Super Bowl games from Gillette, and replaced them, for the first time, with the Division 1 CMass title game as well as the Division 1 WMass game. Tomorrow at 11 a.m., the Pioneers (8-4) take on Leominster (9-3) followed at 1:30 by the Western Mass. Super Bowl, featuring Longmeadow (10-2) and Springfield Central (10-2).
White expects the St. John's fans to make the team feel right at home in Foxborough.
"It's great not only for our players, but our school is really fired up," White said. "Right now we've got two fan buses going down, we might even get a third. It's great for the St. John's community."
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.