Senior guard Jen Gonsalves became the girls’ all-time leading scorer at Harwich High School Thursday night, scoring 27 points, as the Rough Riders cruised past Plymouth North 68-53.
The Harwich captain entered the game unaware she needed just 10-points to tie the all-time mark of 1,312 held by Sharee DaLuze since 2004.
With the first quarter winding down, Gonsalves drove the lane, making a layup and getting fouled in the process. The two points tied DaLuze’s mark and the ensuing free throw broke it.
“We stopped the game and she received a standing ovation and we presented her with the game ball,” said Harwich coach Alik Taylor. “It was a special night for Jen. She knew she was close but had no idea just how close. You could see how excited she was.”
With 1,329 points for her career, Gonsalves needs just 266 to break the school’s all-time mark held by Glen Rose since 1974.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.