The heated rivalry between Marshfield and Duxbury is in full swing. The last five times these teams have met, the game has been decided by 4 points or fewer.
Last night was no exception.
Marshfield tipped host Duxbury, 50-47, for its third victory in the past four meetings.
Ryan Lataglia made a layup with 20 seconds left to put Marshfield up 48-47, after failing to convert on their ensuing possession the Green Dragons were forced to foul Marshfield senior forward Erik Whitaker with three seconds left.
Whitaker, who sat out the second period because of fouls, made both shots to seal the victory for the Rams.
The rivalry is so intense, it goes back and forth between us, said Marshfield coach Bob Fisher. Its a hard-fought rivalry, where the game becomes about the kids and not the coaches.
Whitaker and junior guard Alex White each scored 12 of their 15 points in the second half.
Theyre my only two players with experience back so we looked to them, said Fisher.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.
- Waiting for Twitter...