Nine undefeated teams and 10 newcomers mark the first Top 20 of the new year for girls' basketball. But with all the changes in the rankings, one team remained constant, Andover.
The defending Division 1 state champion Golden Warriors remain unbeaten at 8-0. Andover is 35-1 over the past two seasons. The next three teams are also unbeaten with Lynn English moving up from No. 15 to take the No. 2 spot at 8-0. These two schools could meet in the Division 1 North sectional finals if they remain unbeaten.
Arlington Catholic, last year's Division 2 state champion, is No. 3 with a 7-0 mark. AC knocked off St. Mary's last Friday in a matchup of MIAA state champions (St. Mary's won Division 3).
At No. 4 is Middlesex League Large power Reading (6-0). The Rockets and AC appear headed to a showdown in the Division 2 North tourney.
Westford is the only member of the preseason Top 20 to hold its place, taking the No. 5 spot at 9-1. Other undefeated teams in the Top 20 include Oliver Ames, Braintree, Medfield, Scituate, and Franklin.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.