The Austin Prep girls' hockey team (5-8) upset the sixth-ranked visiting Hingham girls (7-3-1) last night, 3-1. Beating the Harbormen is the highlight of the Cougars' tough season thus far.
“This is just awesome,” said coach Jim McGonagle. “We’re a young team with eighth graders and a lot of freshman. It’s a huge win for us.”
Junior forward Kiely Annese netted the first goal in the first period, giving the Cougars an early lead. Freshman forward Meghan Hanlon put Austin Prep further ahead with a goal in the second period.
Hingham freshman forward Catherine Linehan put one past AP goalie Shannon O’Neil to cut the lead in half but eighth grade defenseman Jaimee Cooke netted the Cougars' third goal late in the second to secure the win.
O’Neil recorded a career-high 53 saves.
“Shannon is one of the best goalies in the state,” said McGonagle. “She was our team MVP last year. This game she went above and beyond.”
The Cougars' latest victory puts them one step closer to qualifying for the state tournament.
“We lost to Arlington Catholic which was a big loss,” said McGonagle. “But the girls have turned it around. If we play like we did tonight the rest of the season, hopefully we’ll make it to the states, our goal every year.”
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.