Some of the best high school basketball players in the country will be in Boston this weekend, playing in the 2012 BABC Prep School Classic. Six games will be held in total, two Saturday, and all at the Kroc Salvation Army Community Center on Dudley Street in Boston.
Fans won't have to wait long to see two of the best in action.
In the first game Saturday Tilton will face Notre Dame Prep at 3 p.m. Tilton is led by 6-11 center and Everett-native Nerlens Noel. Noel is ranked second in ESPN's class of 2013. Notre Dame Prep also has a presence in the middle in 7-foot center and New Zealand native Steve Adams. Adams has already signed with the University of Pittsburgh and will be making his playing debut with Notre Dame.
The complete schedule:
Saturday, January 14
3:00 PM Tilton School (NH) vs. Notre Dame Prep (MA)
4:45 PM Wilbraham & Monson (MA) vs. Marianapolis Prep (CT)
Sunday, January 15
1:00 PM Brimmer & May (MA) vs. Putnam Science Academy (CT)
2:30 PM Northfield Mount Hermon (MA) vs. Worcester Academy (MA)
4:00 PM Rivers School (MA) vs. Boston Trinity Academy (MA)
5:30 PM Marianapolis Prep (CT) vs. Winchendon School (MA)
And the BABC's Jay Demings supplied this list of the top players competing:
Myles Davis - ND Prep - Xavier
Adonis Filer - ND Prep - Clemson
Mandell Thomas - ND Prep - Fordham
Georges Niang - Tilton - Iowa State
Dominique Bull - Tilton - Missouri
Kevin Crescenzi - Tilton - Dartmouth
Evan Cummins - NMH - Harvard
Tommy Carpenter - NMH - Dartmouth
Sam Cassell, Jr. - NMH - Undecided
Ethan O’Day - NMH - Vermont
Nick Lund - Rivers School - Claremont McKenna
Akosa Maduegbunam - Winchendon - Penn State
Tevin Falzon - Winchendon - Sacred Heart
Jake Fay - Brimmer & May - Fordham
Tickets to the event are $10 per day for adults, $5 per day for students and senior citizens. For the schedule and directions to the BABC Prep Classic, visit thebabc.com.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.