Waring High School (Beverly) defeated Gann Academy (Waltham) in double-overtime for the second consecutive year, 70-63, to improve to 4-2.
The Coyotes’ Jack Stanton led all scorers with 20 points and 19 rebounds despite fouling out early in the second overtime. Charlie Mitchell added 17 and Henry Balf chipped in 10 points with seven steals.
“We went to double OT against them last year at their place, so there’s something about these teams, I don’t get it,” Waring coach Chad Bryan said. “It’s something about them, they just play us right.”
Gann coach Jeff Kellem was livid after last year’s loss, and rightfully so—his athletic director decided on the fly that the second period of overtime would be only one minute long. But the second installment of their Mass Bay Independent League marathon was contested all the way through.
“We got the best of them in that one minute and won,” Bryan said. “But that didn’t happen this year, it was official.”
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.