Since its tough losses to Hingham and Woburn, St. Mary's has been recharged with a seven-game sweep of top-notch teams like Arlington and Lexington. And most recently, the Spartans (9-2) avenged a loss to Hingham with a 2-1 win to place them at No. 5 in the Globe girls hockey Top 20.
Belmont is another underdog that shined this week after a 5-3 win over Lexington to shift up to No. 7. Belmont (9-2) also knocked down Woburn two games prior.
Eighth-ranked Walpole (7-1-1) climbed up the standings and atop of the Bay State Herget after dishing out a 6-1 victory over long-time rival Norwood (7-2-1) with a hat trick from Brooke Matherson.
With those teams' momentum being the strongest of the batch, we're left with a big upset in the meat of the Top 20.
Norwood, Dedham, Fontbonne and Chelmsford each moved down in the rankings with losses this week bumping out Franklin and giving Westford a shoe-in at No. 20.
Arlington Catholic, Duxbury and Acton-Boxboro are the only teams to remain undefeated in the rankings with Woburn (8-1) holding onto the top spot.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.