Belmont gets a shoe-in the new Globe girls hockey Top 20 after handling Woburn 3-2 for the Tanners' first loss of the season. And despite the hiccup, strength of schedule and power in the front line keeps the Tanners (7-1) at No. 1.
Arlington Catholic (10-0) has gradually moved up the rankings, taking the No. 2 spot after capitalizing on its second win over No. 11 Fontbonne (6-3). The Cougars have the toughness and physicality to overpower top-ranked teams so their progression will be one to watch.
Hingham dropped three spots to No. 5 after tallying a tie onto its earlier loss this season against an unranked team. The Harborwomen (5-1-1) are going to need more fight to keep up with top powerhouses if they want to glance at another championship.
Concord-Carlisle and Arlington were bumped off the rankings with repeated losses as Chelmsford snuck up to No. 12 with a 7-1 run. Franklin is the newest team to be added with a big scoring margin at 5-1-1.
See the entire Globe girls hockey Top 20 here.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.