By Cat Calsolaro
Somerville handed fifth-ranked Arlington Catholic its second straight loss, knocking off the visiting Cougars, 61-50, last night.
After losing to Arlington Catholic, 60-50, two weeks ago, the Highlanders (10-10) came out firing, leading, 35-23, at halftime. Sophomore forward Melissa Baptista scored 14 of her 15 points in the first half and junior guard Indira Evora exploded for 30 points.
But the Highlanders’ all-around defensive effort made the biggest difference. Baptista pulled down 14 rebounds and Evora had 10 steals.
‘‘Ten steals is a tremendous number against as good a team as AC,’’ said first-year coach John DePasquale. ‘‘Defense was the biggest factor, our defense was outstanding.’’
AC (19-3) didn't go down without a fight.
Led by Emma Roberson's 30 points, the Cougars clawed back to within 4 points. Then Evora intercepted a cross-court pass and went coast-to-coast for a layup that gave the Highlanders breathing room.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Waiting for Twitter...