The Boston Amateur Basketball Club will be hosting the George "Trigger" Burke Tipoff Friday through Sunday, featuring 43 teams with players ranging from the seventh to 12th grade in Boston.
"We feel that we have compiled some of the best local AAU and travel teams to take part in our Tip-off,” said Jay Demings, BABC’s Operations and Tournament Director in a release to the media. “For such an early season tournament we think this is going to be a highly competitive event because of the quality of teams and their coaches.”
The tournament, which will span six age divisions, is named after Burke, a former UMass star, 1956 All-American, and one-time Boston Celtic.
BABC's freshman, sophomore, and junior teams will play in the tournament.
The tournament will take place at the Tobin Gym, Kroc Center, Orchard Gardens, and Vine Street Community Center.
For the tournament's full schedule, including game times and location, visit the BABC's website: http://www.thebabc.com/BABC/Home.html.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.