It's a final at Lawler Arena as Malden Catholic takes down BC High, 3-1. The Lancers (17-1-4) improve to 2-0 in the Super 8 tournament, while the Eagles (11-6-5) fall to 1-1. The Lancers had the shot advantage by a wide margin, 32-16. Sifferlen, Nazarian and White tallied for MC, and Bartley Regan had the lone goal for BC High.
7:48 3rd period: Malden Catholic 3, BC High 1 Brendan White cashes in on the power-play to extend the Lancers' lead. With the Eagles' Tim Larocque in the box for contact to the head, Ryan Fitzgerald picks up the puck high along the right wall and feeds it across to White, who picks the top corner so tightly it hits the inner bar and pops back out, no chance for Cronin. Fitzgerald with the assist.
4:53 3rd period: Malden Catholic 2, BC High 1 -- A strong individual effort by Ara Nazarian puts the Lancers back on top. Nazarian fights his way to the left circle with the puck and a defender on him, puts it high off of Cronin's shoulder and in. Unassisted at 4:53.
End of 2nd period: Malden Catholic 1, BC High 1 -- Shots on goal: Malden Catholic 20, BC High 14. The Eagles held off some sustained pressure near the end of the period. They've done a good job of taking away the slot and keeping the Lancers on the perimeter, forcing them to take shots from less-than-ideal areas of the ice.
1:07 2nd period: Malden Catholic 1, BC High 1 -- Tim Larocque sends a tape-to-tape pass from down low to Bartley Regan, who takes a couple of strides to his right and rips one high glove side past MC netminder Connor Maloney from the point.
End of 1st period: Malden Catholic 1, BC High 0 -- Malden Catholic takes a one-goal lead into the locker room. The Lancers put 10 shots on Cronin in the first period to the Eagles' eight.
9:50 1st period: Malden Catholic 1, BC High 0 -- Malden Catholic sophomore Tyler Sifferlen hammers a loose puck top shelf over BC High goalie Peter Cronin. Assists to Ara Nazarian and Brian Cameron.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.