NORTH ANDOVER - For the third time this season, Malden Catholic and BC High faced off, and for the second time the Lancers skated away with a victory, 3-1, Tuesday night at Lawler Arena.
“I thought we did OK at times,’’ said Malden Catholic coach John McLean, whose team stopped eight BC High power plays. “We did a little bit of running around at the end, our guys got a little bit tired, but we played against a good team and it was a good game.’’
The lone goal of the first period came off the stick of Tyler Sifferlen, who roofed a rebound from the slot at 9:50, giving the Lancers the lead.
BC High got a golden opportunity to tie the game when MC goalie Connor Maloney failed to push a puck out and left it on his doorstep, but a charging Tom Besinger was unable to get a handle on it and the Lancers’ lead held at 1-0 at the first intermission.
Bartley Regan pulled the Eagles even 1:07 into the second period, whistling a shot from just inside the blue line that zipped past Maloney’s glove side to make it 1-1, where it would stay heading into the third.
It didn’t take long for Malden Catholic to take control.
Ara Nazarian (one goal, one assist) collected the puck in the neutral zone, skated in tight down the left wing, and with a defender draped on his right side, he lifted the puck past goalie Peter Cronin to put the Lancers up, 2-1, at 4:53 of the final period.
“I got a great stretch pass from [Nick] Rolli,’’ said Nazarian. “I used speed to beat the D and just put it top left.’’
“He’s a very good forward and strong,’’ McLean said of Nazarian. “When he gets a chance he’s going to finish it. He’s a very good player.’’
As the third period neared the halfway point, Brendan White unleashed a shot from the point that hit just under the crossbar for a power-play goal that gave MC a 3-1 lead with 7:12 remaining.
Regan looked as if he had pulled the Eagles within one when he ripped another slap shot past Maloney with 1:01 remaining, but the net had been knocked off the moorings before the puck crossed the goal line and the Lancers held on in the final minute.
“I think we deserved a better fate,’’ said BC High coach John Flaherty. “I just don’t understand why we don’t have video replay in this league, everyone else has it.’’
The win puts the Lancers in great position at 2-0 with one game left in pool play, against Hingham (1-1) on Sunday. The Eagles (1-1) will face off against St. John’s (Shrewsbury) in the other Group 1 game Sunday.
It's a final at Lawler Arena as Malden Catholic takes down BC High, 3-1. The Lancers (17-1-4) improve to 2-0 in the Super 8 tournament, while the Eagles (11-6-5) fall to 1-1. The Lancers had the shot advantage by a wide margin, 32-16. Sifferlen, Nazarian and White tallied for MC, and Bartley Regan had the lone goal for BC High.
7:48 3rd period: Malden Catholic 3, BC High 1 Brendan White cashes in on the power-play to extend the Lancers' lead. With the Eagles' Tim Larocque in the box for contact to the head, Ryan Fitzgerald picks up the puck high along the right wall and feeds it across to White, who picks the top corner so tightly it hits the inner bar and pops back out, no chance for Cronin. Fitzgerald with the assist.
4:53 3rd period: Malden Catholic 2, BC High 1 -- A strong individual effort by Ara Nazarian puts the Lancers back on top. Nazarian fights his way to the left circle with the puck and a defender on him, puts it high off of Cronin's shoulder and in. Unassisted at 4:53.
End of 2nd period: Malden Catholic 1, BC High 1 -- Shots on goal: Malden Catholic 20, BC High 14. The Eagles held off some sustained pressure near the end of the period. They've done a good job of taking away the slot and keeping the Lancers on the perimeter, forcing them to take shots from less-than-ideal areas of the ice.
1:07 2nd period: Malden Catholic 1, BC High 1 -- Tim Larocque sends a tape-to-tape pass from down low to Bartley Regan, who takes a couple of strides to his right and rips one high glove side past MC netminder Connor Maloney from the point.
End of 1st period: Malden Catholic 1, BC High 0 -- Malden Catholic takes a one-goal lead into the locker room. The Lancers put 10 shots on Cronin in the first period to the Eagles' eight.
9:50 1st period: Malden Catholic 1, BC High 0 -- Malden Catholic sophomore Tyler Sifferlen hammers a loose puck top shelf over BC High goalie Peter Cronin. Assists to Ara Nazarian and Brian Cameron.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.
- Waiting for Twitter...