Brendan Mageary puts the nail in the coffin as St. Mary's beats Springfield Cathedral 3-2 in a shootout.
Here's the rundown of the shootout:
Rd 1. SC Jeff Deloria shot wide
Rd. 1 SM Bobby Mullins SCORES
Rd. 2 SC Matt Foley SCORES
Rd. 2 SM Eric McAdams misses
Rd. 3 SC Peter Crinella is stopped
Rd. 3 SM Jarrod Fitzpatrick SCORES
Rd. 4 SC Jack Williams is stopped
Rd. 4 SM Cam O'Neill hits post
Rd. 5 SC Frank Crinella SCORES
Rd. 5 SM Brendan Mageary SCORES
15:00: St. Mary's 2, Springfield Cathedral 2 -- Twelve extra minutes were not enough to decide a winner so we get a shootout.
15:00: St. Mary's 2, Springfield Cathedral 2 -- For the second straight game these two teams will need extra time to decide their fates. The Panthers lost in sudden-death overtime to St. John's Prep on Sunday while the Spartans went even further, into a shootout, before losing to Central Catholic.
15:00: St. Mary's 2 Springfield Cathedral 2-- A strong showing by the Panthers in the second period has the teams even heading into the second intermission. Total shots on goal still favor the Spartans, 16-14.
6:08: St. Mary's 2 Springfield Cathedral 2 --The Panthers pull even on a power play goal from Cullen Geary. Frank Crinella and Matt Foley pick up assists on the play.
15:00: St. Mary's 2 Springfield Cathedral 1-- The Spartans hold a 10-6 advantage in shots on goal and will start the second period with 1:03 remaining on a power play opportunity.
9:14: St. Mary's 2 Springfield Cathedral 1 -- Peter Crinella wins the draw in the left circle, pushes the puck forward, then wrists it home to get the Panthers on the board.
5:35: St. Mary's 2, Springfield Cathedral 0 -- Bobby Mullins wrists one home from the slot to give the Spartans a two-goal advantage.
2:09: St. Mary;s 1, Springfield Cathedral 0 -- Cam O'Neill catches goalie John Liquori out of position and deposits the puck in the wide-open left side of the net for an early Spartans goal.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.