The Super 8 hockey tournament action has concluded for the day at Lawler Arena.
In the crossover round, St. Johnís will play Group 1 runner-up BC High, and Central Catholic, its fate resting on the outcome of this game, advances to play Group 1 winner Malden Catholic on Wednesday.
13:10 3rd period: St. John's 3, St. Mary's 1 -- Brian Pinho adds an insurance goal with under two minutes remaining. Assisted by Kurker.
11:40 3rd period: St. John's 2, St. Mary's 1 -- Sam Kurker with his second of the game, unassisted. Kurker forces a turnover at the Spartans blue line and puts a shot labeled for the top shelf past MacBurnie to give the Eagles their first lead.
End of 2nd period: St. Mary's 1, St. John's 1 -- Quality chances at both ends, but still deadlocked at one apiece. Who will be the hero in the third period?
3:49 2nd period: St. Mary's 1, St. John's 1 -- Spartans forward Jarrod Fitzpatrick is sent to the box for charging and St. John's wins the ensuing faceoff in the Spartans' zone. Nick Pandelena puts a rocket toward goal from the right point. The shot rattles off the end boards and pops out the otherside to a waiting Sam Kurker.
End of 1st period: St. Mary's 1, St. John's 0 St. Mary's leads going into the first intermission...the Eagles went 0-for-1 on the lone power play of the opening frame...St. Mary's with a 6-5 shot advantage.
8:15 1st period: St. Mary's 1, St. John's 0 -- Brian Pinho unable to cleanly win a defensive zone faceoff...loose puck bounces out to Spartans forward Frank Moreschi. Moreschi puts a shot on net, St. John's goalie David Letart makes the initial stop but Cam O'Neill is on the doorstep to sweep in the rebound.
About to drop the puck on the St. John's Prep - St. Mary's game, which wraps up the final day of group play from Merrimack's Lawler Arena.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.