Lowell’s Shelby Higgins set the bar high for Merrimack Valley Conference pitchers Wednesday. In a 6-0 victory over Dracut, Higgins struck out seven and walked three in the victory to record Lowell’s first no-hitter since 2006.
“Shelby has several pitches that she uses well but her fastball was her most dominant pitch, keeping them off guard by changing speeds,” said Lowell coach Rick O’Brien. “Dracut is very good, aggressive team and she painted the corners very well to keep them guessing.”
Higgins’ only loss has come to Andover, 3-2, where the senior gave up her only two earned runs of the season, striking out eight and allowing five hits in the losing effort.
“She had a tough year last year so we weren’t really sure how she would pitch this year,” O’Brien said. “But the results so far have come from a lot of work, working hard in the offseason and staying composed and her performance has showed all of that.”
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.
- Waiting for Twitter...