The Medway-Ashland girls hockey team has not been forgotten.
After getting knocked out of the first round of the Division 1 state tournament by Winthrop in a game that was marred by a parent pointing a green laser at the Medway-Ashland goalie, the team was invited to the State House by state Senator Karen Spilka , who represents both communities the team draws players from.
The team will tour the State House at 2 p.m. Thursday and then be recognized on the senate floor in a formal session.
Joseph Cordes, 42, stood alone in an upper corner of the bleachers at Larsen Rink in Winthrop during a Feb. 29 playoff game between Medway-Ashland and Winthrop and pointed a laser at the Medway-Ashland goalie, the district attorney’s office said. He was charged with disturbing the peace.
Winthrop went on to win the game, 3-1, and Medway-Ashland appealed to the MIAA. The MIAA denied the appeal, saying game officials determined Cordes’s actions were not game-changing and the association would not overturn the official’s decision.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.