After a disappointing finish to its 2011-12 season was marred by a parent pointing a green laser at the team's goalie, the Medway-Ashland girls hockey team was recognized on the floor of the Massachusetts State House after being invited by state Senator Karen Spilka.
"It was really nice," Spilka said. "It was just something to show them the way they handled the situation with grace, with honor and with sportsmanship was greatly appreciated by the state."
Spilka represents communities of both schools, which form a co-op team.
In a Feb. 29 playoff game against Winthrop, Joseph Cordes, 42, stood alone in an upper corner of the bleachers at Larsen Rink and pointed a laser at the Medway-Ashland goalie, the district attorney’s office said. He was charged with disturbing the peace while Winthrop went on to win the game, 3-1. Cordes is a Winthrop parent.
"I’m sure it was difficult for them," Spilka said of the incident. "They dealt with it and they moved on. Hopefully next year most of the girls will return. And hopefully nothing like that will ever happen again. Not just in the commonwealth, but in the country.
"That was clearly more than unfortunate."
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.