With bulldozers set to rip up the field affectionately dubbed the "Arlington Catholic Pit” parked along the sidelines, the Cougars' boys lacrosse team sent their field out in a fitting manner Monday night with a rain-soaked, 9-8, overtime victory over Austin Prep.
Zach Blanch’s overtime strike, set up by a 75-yard pass from Billy Cooke, gave Arlington Catholic a one-goal edge they’d never relinquish in the extra period as the Cougars improved to 11-4 on the season.
The win – made possible by 12 saves from netminder Andrew Uglietto – is the third straight for Arlington Catholic, whose grass field, known to most as "The Pit," will be replaced by tuft in the coming weeks.
“I couldn’t believe [the referees] actually let us play out the entire game on that field, in all that water,” said Arlington Catholic coach Dan Brothers. “But It was a great way to close out the Pit."
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.