BC High didn’t have to look far to find a new football coach, naming defensive coordinator Joe Gaff to succeed Jon Bartlett.
‘‘I’m extremely humbled and very excited to be taking on this position,’’ Gaff said in a release from the Dorchester school. ‘‘BC High is a warm and welcoming community that haqs provided me with great opportunity for personal growth. Jon Bartlett is certainly a touch act to follow, but the squad coming up is a very fine group of young men.’’
Gaff has been BC High’s defensive coordinator the last four years. Last fall, the Eagles had the second best defense in Division 1, allowing just 13.9 ppg. A 26-year veteran of the Everett police department, Gaff has 11 years of head coaching experience including time at Chelsea, Matignon, and Malden Catholic. He also served as an assistant coach at Tufts for three years.
‘‘We are thrilled to have Joe lead our program,’’ said Bartlett, who will remain as BC High’s athletic director. ‘‘... he understands the vision of our program and the core values of our school.’’
Bartlett announced he was stepping down in April after four years as head coach. Last fall, BC High went 10-3 and won the Division 1 Super Bowl, beating Needham 21-7 at Gillette Stadium.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.