Only one thing is certain when the city league baseball playoffs begin Saturday -- there will be a new champion in Boston.
With defending champion Madison Park on the sidelines, the 2012 title is up for grabs. In the first of two games at Boston English in Jamaica Plain, the host Blue & Blue will face Boston International at 10 a.m., followed at 1 p.m. by Latin Academy against East Boston.
English takes the field with an 11-5 record and is led by City League All-Stars Nelson Barreiro, Wanderson Pinales, and Jesie Valdez. English has won six of its last seven games. Boston International is 8-4 and will look to its all-star trio of Junior Perdomo, Frank Rosabel, and Nelfy Velez.
In the second game, LA enters semifinal action at 10-8 and is led by Vincent Lopriore, Sam Steeves, and Brendan Woods. The Dragons have lost their last two games. East Boston is 6-6 and will turn to all-stars Conner Henry, Manny Martinez, and Michael Theriault.
Saturday's winners advance to the city title game Monday at 10 a.m. back at Boston English.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.