Brighton sprinter Anderson headlines a slew of Boston schools' track stars set to tackle state meets
When the MIAA seeds for the divisional track meets were released this morning, Brighton High track coach Sara Voss Geiman was surprised to see senior Laquasia Anderson seeded No. 1 in the girls’ 200-meter dash at this weekend's Eastern Mass Division 1 track meet at Durfee High School in Fall River.
“I was hoping she would be in the top three or five at least,” Voss Geiman said during a telephone interview on Wednesday afternoon. “Her being the top seed, I didn’t know it would happen. It was really exciting.”
The feat was all the more remarkable considering Anderson had ankle surgery last year after seriously injuring herself during a basketball game.
“It was a huge change from her junior year now that she’s completely healed and healthy,” Voss Geiman said.
Anderson, who has a qualifying time of 26.4 seconds in the 200, will also run on Brighton’s 24th-seeded 4x100-meter relay team along with senior Tanasha Ward, junior Albertine Samson and junior Esther Nkwah. Samson is also the No. 32-seed in the 100-meter dash with a qualifying time of 13.54 seconds.
Samson and Nkwah attend Boston Community Leadership Academy, which is moving from Brighton to the old Hyde Park High complex next year.
“This is also an exciting year because it’s the last year I’ll be with Albertine and Esther,” Voss Geiman said.
Voss Geiman also said this is the biggest team she’s ever brought to the state meet since she started coaching at Brighton three years ago.
Brighton’s boys’ 4x100-meter relay team [junior Christopher Desanero, senior Luis Nunez, senior Michael Moore, junior Seth Philistin] is seeded 24th with a time of 45.84. Nunez is also seeded 30th in the high jump with qualifying leap of 6-feet.
Voss Geiman also noted that Anderson was pushed all season long in the 200-meter dash by South Boston's Daitannah Smith, who is seeded No. 8 in 200-meter dash in the Division 2 meet at Whitman Hanson Regional High. Smith beat Anderson in the city championships with a time of 26.20 seconds.
Also at the Division 2 meet, Latin Academy eighth grader Ashley Lewis is the No. 20 seed in the 400-meter run. Latin Academy senior Barbara Okafor is the No. 23 in the 100-meter dash.
On the boys' side of the Division 2 meet, Latin Academy sophomore Malik Anderson will be the No. 18 seed in the 100-meter dash and his teammate, Sekou Stuppard, will be seeded No. 24 in the 400-meter run. South Boston senior William Arrington is No. 23 in the 200-meter dash.
Jumping to the Eastern Mass Division 3 meet at Pembroke High, it’s no surprise that O’Bryant’s state champion hurler, Adrienne Thornton, is seeded No. 1 in the discus with a qualifying toss of 120 feet and 9 inches. She is the No. 2 seed in the shot put (34-07) behind senior Elizabeth Bray of Wakefield (42-02).
Thornton’s teammate, Kiana Daley, is seeded No. 3 in the discus with a toss of 112-01 while O’Bryant junior Duncan Malone will be the No. 27 seed in the discus on the boys’ side of the Division 3 meet.
Jamila Jones, who edged out Thornton by half an inch to take the city championship shot put title this year, will be the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Mass Division 4 meet at North Reading High. North Reading sophomore, Emily Murray, is the No. 1 seed in the shot put with a qualifying toss of 36-09.
New Mission senior Akkiea Dickerson is seeded sixth in the 200-meter dash at the Division 4 meet with a qualifying time of 26.6. She is No. 23 in the 100-meter dash with a time of 13.3.
In the Boys’ Division 4 meet, CASH junior Andy Pierre is the No. 9 seed in the 400-meter run with a qualifying time of 52.40.
Boston Latin School has a slew of athletes in the Division 1 meet as well, including senior Wilhelmina Moen, the No. 8 seed in the 200-meter dash with a qualifying time of 26.74. Her teammate, freshman Kenedy Barnwell, is seeded No. 17 with a time of 27.06. Barnwell is also No. 19 in the 100-meter dash with a time of 13.34 while Denise Yoon is No. 34 with a time of 13.54.
In the 800-meter run senior Ava Violich is seeded No. 29 with a time of 2:28.09 and in the 2-mile run seventh grader Sarah Kiame is No. 26 with a time of 12:07.89 while freshman Alannah O’Brien is No. 28 with a time of 12:08.87.
Boston Latin’s No. 9-seeded 4x100-meter relay team (Moen, Barnwell, senior Maggie Hughes, eight grader Andrea Hatzis and Yoon) has a seed time of 51.53.
In the triple jump, junior Fenintola Abioye is the No. 21 seed with a leap of 33-08.
On the boys’ side, Boston Latin junior Mike Ward is the No. 21-seed in the mile run with a seed time of 4:33.05. He is also the No. 26 seed in the 800-meters with a time of 2:01.54.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.