After the first day of the Boston Public Schools Track & Field Championships on Monday afternoon at White Stadium, the O’Bryant boys’ track team is in line to win its first outdoor track & field city title in two years.
The Tigers (49 points) lead Latin Academy by six points.
O’Bryant junior Duncan Malone qualified for states in the discus after winning the event with his throw of 120 feet, 9 inches, a personal record.
“I’m happy,” Malone said. “It was weird because it [could have been] my last thrown of my whole entire season. It was my last thrown and I pulled it off.”
Malone also finished second in the triple jump (37-10) behind South Boston’s William Arrington (39-05.50). O’Bryant freshman Brian Donna won the 400 meter hurdles in 1 minute 2.90 seconds while his teammate, Michael Allen, took the city title in the javelin with a toss of 137-09.
Latin Academy was paced by Yao Tan’s victory in the 2-mile (11:20.6).
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.