St. John's Prep and No. 6 Needham (15-1) handed Xaverian losses this week to drop the Hawks to the eighth spot, opening the door for several teams to fill in the rankings below top-ranked Haverhill (14-0).
No. 2 Newton North (11-2), No. 3 Lincoln Sudbury (13-1) and No. 4 North Quincy (15-0) each had a perfect week, sliding them into the top spots.
No. 9 Lawrence (13-3) dropped three spots after falling to Methuen, an unexpected hiccup.
No. 5 St. John's Prep (15-3) saw one of the biggest moves up the rankings after taking out BC High, avenging the Eagles' 3-2 loss on April 5. Along with beating previously second-ranked Xaverian, the Eagles earned the upgrade.
Tenth-ranked Cambridge (12-3) was safe this week, keeping the Falcons in the mix.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.