Once again, the top team has fallen, allowing for a new No. 1 in the Globe’s girls’ lacrosse Top 20.
Former No. 1 Notre Dame (Hingham) was upset by a strong Andover team under the lights in Golden Warrior territory Wednesday. The 13-11 loss, slips NDA to the No. 2 spot, while the victory catapults Andover to No. 6.
Taking over the top spot is Winchester. The Sachems were the last undefeated team remaining, until a tough loss to a good Westwood squad Tuesday. Despite the win, Westwood (No. 4) stays put along with Needham (No. 5), rounding out the top five.
Jumping up in the rankings this week is Reading (No. 8), which had a big week with wins over Masconomet and Framingham. The loss was Masconomet’s second of the season, pushing it down to the No. 11 slot.
Archbishop Williams sits in the No. 9 slot at 12-1, but play a weaker schedule than some of the top teams, keeping them in the middle of the pack.
Ashland lost to Westwood this week, pushing them to No. 17, while North Andover (9-3) had a three-win week to solidify themselves in the standings at No. 15.
Still on the bubble are Ipswich (6-2, No. 18), Hamilton-Wenham (5-2, No. 19), and Franklin (6-5, No. 20).
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.