Westford came out strong, thanks to a goal 24 seconds into the game by junior Ben Katz, and held a 4-1 lead with four minutes to go in the first half. The Eagles battled back, however, and pulled within one going into the half, 7-6.
“I don’t think we were ready coming out for their speed and their shooting and that first half they just jumped on us quick, 4-1,” said BC High coach Ted Bibeau. “After that we tried to settle down and work our matchups. Once we got over that hump, we were able to hold on to [the lead].”
“Lacrosse is a game of runs and you have to weather the storms just like they did early,” said Westford coach Matt Tholander. “Our offense got away from what we normally do, which is to posses the ball and not force it. They’re a very solid, defense-oriented team and we forced the ball into some very bad looks, which caused them to get some good looks in transition.”
The Eagles’ performance featured five scorers. Seniors Brendan Hogan and Joe Buckley led the way with three goals apiece. Senior goalie and Merrimack college recruit Jonathan Barton made some key saves for BC High, holding sophomore sniper Jay Drapeau and senior captain Alex Eaton to three goals combined.
“It seems like all year, sometimes [Barton] is a little shaky but he makes the really timely ones,” said Bibeau. “He made some big saves for us all year and again today. We’re going to need that moving forward.”
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.