Dover-Sherborn cruised to its first-ever state title in boys’ lacrosse on Wednesday afternoon, knocking out North Reading, 16-6, in the first of three title games at Harvard Stadium.
The Raiders were playing in their third Division 3 championship game in the last four years, having fallen to Weston in 2011 and Scituate in 2009.
The Hornets (22-2) took a quick 2-0 lead in the first quarter, but D-S All-American senior Billy Polk discovered a little bit of magic on the faceoff in the second, winning the first 10 draws he took as D-S finished the game 18 for 24.
And once they established possession, the Raiders (18-5) were able put together a run with some slick ball movement that opened holes in the North Reading defense. D-S went into halftime with a 7-2 lead and never let up.
Senior attackman Jared Spence and junior attackman Brandon Jaeger each finished with four goals.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.