Former Lowell Catholic Athletic Director, Mickey Sullivan passed away early Monday morning after a long bout with brain cancer.
Sullivan, who served as Lowell Catholic’s athletic director from 2003-2011, is responsible for the growth in the school’s athletic programs that includes the additions of ice hockey, lacrosse, wrestling and golf.
“He built this program from the ground up,” said current AD Jack Fletcher. “When I was at Chelmsford and he was at Tewksbury, he showed me how things were supposed to be done and I’ll be forever grateful for that.”
Sullivan graduated from Keith Academy, now Lowell Catholic, in 1964 and served as athletic director at Tewksbury and Holliston before coming back to his alma mater. In February of 2011, Lowell Catholic named its basketball court, “Mickey Sullivan Court” in Keith Gymnasium after the former AD.
Sullivan was a longtime member of the MIAA, IABBO 95, and was devoted to the Army National Guard organization. He is also one of the first Athletic Directors to receive the Certified Athletic Administrator designation in the state of Massachusetts and has been a member of the C.A.A. since 1992. Sullivan was also nominated as the 2012 National Interscholastic Athletic Administrator for Massachusetts.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.
- Waiting for Twitter...