Mansfield High senior distance runner Josh Lampron is the state's 2011-2012 Gatorade Boys' Track & Field Athlete of the Year, the first track and field athlete to be chosen from the school
“I have had the distinct privilege to coach Josh for the past four years,” said Mansfield coach Julie Collins in a statement. “He has been an outstanding team member. Josh was elected captain of our cross-country team, winter track, and spring track and field teams by his fellow teammates. He is a team player, always leading by example.”
Lampron, who returned as the state’s Track & Field Athlete of the Year recipient from a year ago, won the 800-meter event at the All-State Meet this spring with a meet-record time of 1:51.99. He also placed first in the mile with a time of 4:07:88, helping to guide the Hornets to the state championship.
As a junior, Lampron won the mile at the 2011 New Balance Outdoor Nationals and placed third in the 1,500-meter run at the 2011 USA Track & Field Junior Outdoor Championships.
Coupled with his success in track and field, the 5-foot-10, 150-pound Lampron is a member of the National Honor society and Spanish National Honor society, graduating from Mansfield with a 3.95 grade point average.
In addition, Lampron participates in the Hornets’ marching and concert band. As an Eagle Scout recipient with the Boy Scouts of America, Lampron has volunteered over 100 hours of community service.
Lampron has signed a national letter of intent to run track at Villanova.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.