The second Annual Dream Big! Leadership Conference was held on Wednesday morning at Boston College's Conte Forum.
The conference provided opportunities for high school and middle school girls from economically disadvantaged communities to meet and interact with accomplished former and current female athletes.
The conference was free for the first 150 girls who signed up.
Attendees heard talks given by several former high school, collegiate, Olympic and professional female athletes who are now presidents, doctors, lawyers, financial advisers and sports agents, teachers, non-profit leaders, scientist and coaches.
Some of the women expected to speak at the conference included:
Bridget Belgiovine: Former Collegiate Lacrosse Player & Coach; Wellesley College, Director of Athletics/Chair, P.E. & Recreation
Linda Driscoll: Former High School Basketball, Softball & Field Hockey Player; Dream Big! Founder & CEO
Marsha Florio: Former Collegiate Field Hockey & Lacrosse Player, UMass Boston, Sr. Asst. to the Vice Chancellor of Athletics, Rec. & Programs
Brianna Forde: Former Collegiate Basketball Player; The Boston Foundation, Program Associate - CHAMPS Boston
Angela Hucles: Former 2 Time Olympic Gold Medalist &Professional Soccer Player; CB Richard Ellis, Client Service Assoc.
Megan Leo, M.D.: Former Collegiate Soccer Player; Attending Physician ‐ Emergency Medicine, Boston Medical Center
Dottie Lessard: Former Multi U.S. Transplant Games Gold Medalist in Track & Field; Live Life Fully, LLC, President and CEO
Monique Maye: Former Collegiate Basketball and Softball Player ; Maye & Associates, Sports Agent & Columbia College, Asst. Professor Sports Mgmt.
Tara Spann: Former High School Basketball Player & Coach; Staples, Executive Director, Diversity Initiatives
Lauren Smith M.D. & MPH : Former High School Swimmer, Volleyball and Track Athlete; MA Dept. of Public Health, Medical Director & Chief Medical Officer
Sarah Keohane Williamson: Former Collegiate Rugby Player; Wellington Management Company, Partner
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.