Former Durfee High star and one-time Celtic Chris Herren will visit the Boston Scholar Athletes’ (BSA) ‘Summer Zone’ program Wednesday at Boston College, discussing issues he faced as a student-athlete and how he overcame them as part of the free three-day event for 50 Boston Public School scholar-athletes.
The event will be held at 1 p.m. in Boston College's Gasson Hall, Room 305.
Herren is now a motivational speaker for athletes of all ages. In 2009, he launched Hoop Dreams with Chris Herren, a developmental company that mentors young basketball players. He is also the co-author of "Basketball Junkie: A memoir," and the subject of the ESPN documentary "Unguarded."
Additional highlights of the program include:
Wednesday, July 25: Boston College
• 10 am: Guest speaker Steve Donahue, BC Men’s Basketball Coach
• 11 am: Campus tour
• 2:30 pm: High School preparation for college
Thursday, July 26: Northeastern University
• 10 am: Campus tour
• 11 am: College motivation panel discussion with NU students
• 2:15 pm: Professionalism seminar
Friday, July 27: Suffolk Construction Headquarters, Roxbury
• 5:15 pm: Dinner
• 6 pm: Awards presentation by Suffolk Construction CEO John Fish
For more information on the event or the BSA, contact Sarah Blodgett at (617) 557-9190 or email@example.com
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.