Two words describe the Barnstable girls’ volleyball season: nearly perfect. The Red Raiders (7-0) have a 28-game win streak going back to last year’s state title season, allowing only one set loss this season. So, they’re back at No. 1.
Melrose and Newton North fill the next two spots with the Red Raiders (9-0) having edged out two ranked teams (Reading and Arlington Catholic). The Tigers (8-0) are on the ballot with a win over Brookline.
Arlington Catholic's only loss this season has been to Melrose, adding it to the mix. Big playmakers to watch this season are Reading, Lynnfield, rivals North Quincyand Quincy and Notre Dame of Hingham.
Notre Dame (H) is making this week's list because of the Cougars stellar performances against three top teams: Medfield, Barnstable, and Case. Not only did the Cougars knock out the Division 3 state finalist Cardinals, but the team snatched two sets from Medfield and served Barnstable its only set loss of the season, something to be said of the emerging competitor.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.