Peabody retaining the No. 1 spot in this week’s Girls’ soccer Top 20 shouldn’t surprise anyone. The Tanners (6-0) are unbeaten in their last 30 games and are averaging 4.5 goals per contest.
Lincoln-Sudbury jumps up a spot to No. 2 after its 6-0 start and (former No. 2) Canton’s loss to Franklin. The Warriors are playing well right now thanks in part to senior striker, Cassidy Boegel, who is the subject of this week’s notebook.
Medfield (8-0-1), Central Catholic (8-0) and Franklin (6-0) round out the top five.
The Panthers are tied with Shawsheen (7-0) of the Commonwealth Athletic Conference for the highest scoring average in Eastern Mass at 5.3 goals per game. Kristi Kirshe has continued to be huge this season for the Panthers. She netted four goals in Franklin’s, 5-2, win over Canton.
Nos. 17-19 are newcomers to the Top 20. Cardinal Spellman (8-0) has dominated the Catholic Central (Large) this season, outscoring its opponents, 34-3.
North Andover (5-2-1) checks in at No. 18 and Dedham (9-0-1) at No. 19. The Marauders opened their season with a 1-1 draw and have run off nine-straight wins since.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.