With the top six teams holding on to their spots from last week, the bulk of the volleyball Top 20 rankings are slight changes after an overall successful week for many teams.
Medfield (13-3) was bumped up to the No. 7 spot after fifth-ranked Newton North (13-1) stunned No. 8 Wellesley (13-2) and No. 9 Brookline (10-4) in straight sets. No. 15 Bishop Fenwick (13-4) dropped two spots after falling to third-ranked Andover (16-0), which remains undefeated.
The biggest surprise of the week came from on-the-rise No. 13 Pembroke after a straight-set victory over North Quincy, which sent the Red Raiders (14-4) to the bottom of the rankings at No. 18. The Titans (15-2) have had a strong 10-game run since their earlier 3-1 loss to North Quincy.
No. 17 Notre Dame of Hingham (10-4) slipped down one spot after a loss to top-ranked Barnstable (12-0), despite handing the Red Raiders their first set loss this season.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.