Both Peabody and Lincoln-Sudbury recently lost their first games of the season, paving the way for Franklin to grab the No. 1 spot in this week's girls' soccer Top 20.
Led by Kristi Kirshe (32 goals, nine assists) and the inspirational Grace Conley, the Panthers (16-0-1) finished the regular season unbeaten, rallying from a one-goal deficit with under 10 minutes to play to tie Walpole on Sunday.
Peabody (17-1) remained at No. 2 for the second week in a row, while L-S dropped to No. 3 after a 1-0 loss toWestford (10-4-1) on Tuesday.
The Grey Ghosts' Lauren Steele earned a star of the week nod for her game-winning goal against the Warriors (15-1).
Lauren Berman netted her 40th goal of the season this week for fourth-ranked Canton. Her Bulldogs (14-1-1) were also the subject of this week's notebook, as they look to continue to play well and make another run at a Division 2 state title.
Plymouth North, Amesbury, and Hamilton-Wenham all played their way into the Top 20. The Eagles (11-3-2) had an especially impressive week, toppling No. 17 Marshfield (14-2) on Tuesday and then Dennis-Yarmouth on Thursday to win the Atlantic Coast League.
Hamilton-Wenham (12-1-2) gave up only one goal all season, and Amesbury (14-0-2) hasn't lost a game.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.