Needham senior captain Mac Steeves reached a personal milestone during the Rockets' 8-1 win over Dedham on Thursday night, netting his 100th career point as the fifth-ranked Rockets claimed the Bay State (Carey) title.
Steeves entered the game needing just one point to reach 100, but walked off the field with three.
"He's probably one of the best -- if not the best -- players to come through Needham that I have ever seen," said coach Don Brock, who has been in charge at Needham since 1961. "He's only the second four-year [varsity] starter I've ever had. He's got an unbelievably hard shot, good size, great speed, and a passion for the game."
Steeves, who has 61 goals and 42 assists in his career, became the boys' all-time scoring leader at Needham earlier this season. The previous record holder was Bobby Brock, the coach's son. His mark of 78 (38 goals, 40 assists) stood for 31 years.
Steeves has led the Rockets to a 14-1-3 record this season and plans to play for Providence College next year.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.