With the regular season coming to an end, itís no surprise Watertown is No. 1. The reigning Division 2 state champs finished a perfect 18-0 and extended their winning streak to 87 games.
Chelmsford dropped to No. 5 after losing a close 1-0 decision to Bishop Fenwick. Acton- Boxboro jumped up to No. 6, finishing the season with four straight wins.
Andover, defending Div. 1 state champions, dropped to No. 7 after tying No. 17 Beverly and North Andover. Beverly makes its debut, after clinching the Northeastern Conference for the 5th year in a row.
No. 14 Westford slipped past No. 16 Lincoln-Sudbury after beating the Warriors 1-0.
Weston rounds off the Top 20, finishing the week with a win, tie and a loss.
Dover-Sherborn and Manchester Essex are on the bubble. Field hockey pairings for the state tournament come out Monday, Oct. 29.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.