Peabody remains atop this week's girls' soccer Top 20. The Tanners (8-0) are unbeaten in 31 straight games and recently became the top ranked girls' soccer team in the nation according to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA).
Lincoln-Sudbury (8-0) remains at No. 2 after wins over Acton-Boxboro and Wayland last week.
Franklin, who was the subject of this weekend's notebook, leapfrogged Medfield (10-0-1) and Central Catholic (9-0) after a three win week highlighted by a convincing 6-1 win over No. 20 Oliver Ames on Friday.
Canton (8-1-1), Needham (8-0-2) and Andover (8-1-2) all moved up thanks to solid weeks and uncharacteristic losses by Westford Academy (to Newton South) and Marshfield (to Notre Dame of Hingham).
Sharon fell from No. 15 to out of the Top 20 after losing to Foxboro and then tying both Bedford and North Attleboro last week. Newton North also fell out of the Top 20 after a 3-2 loss to Dedham on Friday.
This week's newcomers are No. 20 Oliver Ames (8-3-1), who despite the tough looking loss to Franklin is a lot better than people think and No. 19 Shawsheen. The Rams (10-0-0) have destroyed some weak competition in the Commonwealth league, outscoring their opponents 57-2 this season.
Danvers (8-1-2) outscored its opponents 14-2 in three wins last week and just missed out on a spot in the Top 20. East Bridgewater (8-1-1) hasn't lost since the first game of the season and is a team to keep an eye on as well.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.