The Boston Amateur Basketball Club's (BABC) Veterans Day Classic is set to tip off this Saturday. Team's from the 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th grade divisions will play 20 games in total at the Tobin Community Center, the Vine Street Community Center and the Shelburne Community Center -- all in Roxbury.
The tournament will showcase some of the best the basketball talent in New England, with the winner in each division determined based on pool play records.
The BABC sophomore squad, which plays on Saturday at the Tobin Community Center at 4:35 p.m. and again on Sunday at the Shelburne Community Center at 1:40 p.m., has won the Amateur Athletic Association (AAU) National Championship three years in a row.
To see video highlights of the BABC from a tournament earlier this year, click here.
Listed below is the schedule:
Saturday, Nov. 3 @ the Tobin Community Center, 1481 Tremont St., Roxbury
Division Time Teams
Junior/Senior - 9:00 a.m. South Shore WP vs. LOX
Junior/Senior - 11:00 a.m. MPC vs. LOX
Eighth Grade - 12:15 p.m. BSS vs. Shooting Stars
Junior/Senior - 1:20 p.m. South Shore WP vs. MPC
Freshmen - 2:25 p.m. NE Storm vs. CT Gladiators
Eighth Grade - 3:30 p.m. Shooting Stars vs. BABC (2017)
Sophomore - 4:35 p.m. MPC vs. BABC (Soph)
Eighth Grade - 5:40 p.m. B2TL vs. BABC (2017)
Saturday Nov. 3 @ the Vine Street Community Center, 339 Dudley St., Roxbury
Division Time Teams
Sophomore - 2:00 p.m. MPC vs. MABC
Eighth Grade - 3:05 p.m. BSS vs. B2TL
Freshmen - 4:10 p.m. CT Gladiators vs. MABC
Freshmen - 5:15 p.m. Boston Spartans vs. NE Storm
Freshmen - 6:45 p.m. Boston Spartans vs. MABC
Sunday Nov. 4 @ Shelburne Community Center, 2730 Washington St., Roxbury
Division Time Teams
Freshmen - 9:00 a.m. Boston Spartans vs. CT Gladiators
Junior/Senior - 10:05 a.m. South Shore WP/LOX vs. BABC (SO/JR)
Junior/Senior - 11:30 a.m. South Shore WP/LOX vs. BABC (SO/JR)
Freshmen - 12:35 p.m. NE Storm vs. MABC
Sophomore - 1:40 p.m. MABC vs. BABC (Soph)
Eighth Grade - 2:45 p.m. BSS vs. BABC (2017)
Eighth Grade - 3:50 p.m. B2TL vs. Shooting Stars
*Home team on left
For more information make sure to check out the BABC's Facebook page.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.