It was a good day for the Independent School League field hockey teams on Wednesday, with four teams advancing to Saturday's semifinals.
In Class A, No. 3 seed Nobles blanked No. 6 Loomis Chaffee, 3-0. Nobles will face Greenwich Academy at Convent Sacred Heart in Greenwich (Conn.).
In Class B, top-seeded St. Mark's exploded for nine goals and easily beat No. 8 seed Rye Country Day, 9-2. Also in Class B, Brooks advanced with a 6-0 win over Lawrence Academy, the only ISL school to lose its opener. And Middlesex beat Pomfret, 2-0. That sets up a semifinal round with three ISL teams. St.Mark's faces Cushing and Brooks plays Middlesex. Both games are at Loomis Chaffee in Windsor, Conn.
The Class C semifinals have Holderness vs. Winsor and Gunnery vs. Dana Hall. Both games are Saturday at Deerfield Academy.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.