Heather Gates of the Brimmer & May School in Chestnut Hill and Paul Green of Taconic High School in Pittsfield were recognized as Massachusetts’s Wendy’s High School Heisman on Monday.
Gates and Green, who were chosen from 45,000 applicants, will now go on to compete for the national award that celebrates their hard work, dedication and exceptional records in athletics, academics and community leadership.
Here's the list of the 20 high school finalists (10 male, 10 female) from Massachusetts:
Name, School, Town
Virginia Goggins, Saint Joseph Central High School, Pittsfield
Alyssa Latimer, Taconic High School, Pittsfield
Ara Talkov, Swampscott High School, Swampscott
Rachel Norton, Braintree High School, Braintree
Taylor Vigneaul, Tyngsboro Jr-Sr High School, Tyngsboro
Heather Gates, Brimmer & May School, Framingham
Molly Stark, Whitinsville Christian High School, Whitinsville
Layla Moran, Westport High School, Westport
Brooke Fairman, Gateway Regional High School, Huntington
Tulsi Mali, East Longmeadow High School, East Longmeadow
Paul Green, Taconic High School, Pittsfield
Jarad Gough, The Roxbury Latin School, Beverly
Daniel Avery, Blackstone Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School, Milford
Jack Malafron, Abington High School, Abington
Ryan Stacy, Sutton Memorial Jr-Sr High School, Sutton
Jason Lamb, Plymouth South High School, Plymouth
Vincent Harpin, Assabet Valley Regional Vocational School, Maynard
Christopher Hartnett, Westport High School, Westport Point
Nicholas Romero, Bishop Feehan High School, Mansfield
Ryan Wilder, Turners Falls High School, Northfield
For more important dates and information regarding the Wendy's Heisman award, click here.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.