Wendy's has announced the 20 finalists from Massachusetts for the Wendy’s High School Heisman Award.
One male and one female winner from each state will be announced on Nov. 5. The award is open to seniors and is based on academic and athletic excellence, leadership, and involvement in extracurricular activities.
Virginia Goggins (Saint Joseph Central High, Pittsfield)
Alyssa Latimer (Taconic High)
Ara Talkov (Swampscott High)
Rachel Norton (Braintree High)
Taylor Vigneault (Tyngsboro Jr-Sr High)
Heather Gates (Brimmer & May, Framingham)
Molly Stark (Whitinsville Christian High)
Layla Moran (Westport High)
Brooke Fairman (Gateway Regional High, Huntington)
Tulsi Mali (East Longmeadow High)
Paul Green (Taconic High)
Jarad Gough (Roxbury Latin, Beverly)
Daniel Avery (Blackstone Valley Tech High, Milford)
Jack Malafronte (Abington High)
Ryan Stacy (Sutton Memorial Jr-Sr High)
Jason Lamb (Plymouth South High)
Vincent Harpin (Assabet Valley Regional Vocational, Maynard)
Christopher Hartnett (Westport High)
Nicholas Romero (Bishop Feehan High, Mansfield)
Ryan Wilder (Turners Falls High, Northfield)
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.