Malden Catholic sophomore Austin Batchelor has verbally committed to Boston College. The righthanded pitcher's velocity caught the eye of recruiters at a baseball showcase at the Lynn Invitational. He was spitting out 90 miles per hour pitches at only 15 years old.
"He's a Division 1 prospect because of that drive he had back when we was a kid who wanted to succeed in the game," said Rich Gilbride, Batchelor's seven-year AAU New England Firebirds coach.
"Austin would be on the national radar so it was great [Boston College baseball coach Mike] Gambino saw a lot in him."
Batchelor, who is slated to graduate high school in 2015, platooned as a starting catcher as a freshman and broke into the Lancers bullpen rotation to help lead the team to a 14-8 season. He comes from a family of baseball players, his father Dave, is the Lancers assistant baseball coach, and his brothers Beau, Bobby and David all played at the high school and collegiate levels.
The Austin Prep transfer steered Peabody's little league team as a pitcher and shortstop to the 2009 Little League World Series. He's also an honor roll student that plays forward and guard for the Lancers' basketball team.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.
- Waiting for Twitter...