Senior forward Hector Sarmiento gave the Chelsea Red Devils just the spark they needed.
Chelsea trailed Whittier Tech, who was 5-0 entering the contest, in the waning moments of the fourth quarter Wednesday when Sarmiento scored a layup with 5.2 seconds left to lift the Red Devils (1-5) to a 49-48 victory – their first of the season.
The Red Devils have struggled and are playing without Sammy Mojica, a senior who transferred to the Brimmer and May School. Last season, Mojica averaged 24 points, 8 rebounds and 6 steals to help lead the Red Devils to a 14-7 record.
"We're rebuilding this year with a lot of freshman and sophomores," Chelsea coach Jay Siegal said. "We were struggling, but this was a big win for us. The kids played well."
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.